Today we shall draft the Trouser block. From this you can make any style of trousers or shorts and it can even be used for Jumpsuits.
Principles of pattern drafting.
We shall be drafting a whole Front piece and Back piece. Trousers are bifurcated garments as you need two sets of each piece (front and back) for each leg. Depending on the part of the body, some measurements will be divided into 2, and some will be divided into 4. It will all become clearer as we draft.
Tools you will need
Pencils / Eraser /Sharpener
Brown paper/ Drafting Paper - 1 sheet (50L x 50W inches) or 2 sheets ( 50L x 20W inches) each
Measurements you will need (Feel free to work in Inches or Cm)
Outseam (Waist to Floor)
Waist to knee
Upper thigh circumference
BASIC PANTS DRAFTING
1. Leaving a space of about 2 inches (5cm) from the top of the paper, Square a line straight down on the right hand side of the paper. Mark Point A at the top of this line.
2. Point A - B = Hip depth
3. Point A - C = Crotch depth
4. Point A - D = Waist to knee
5. Point A - E = Outseam (waist to floor)
6. Square across guidelines to the left side from points A, B, C, D and E.
7. Line A - F = 1/4 Hip measurement (with ease included)
8. Line F-G-H = Square a straight line down from point F stopping on the crotch line (Line C-I)
9. Line H - I = Front crotch extension measurement
10. Line J-K-L-M = Measure Line C-I and mark mid-point. From this point square a straight line up to the waist line and down to the base line. Label as illustrated (Crease Line)